Monday, August 31, 2015

Back to the Barn

Hey Y'all!

This week has felt especially crazy. It seemed like two weeks put into one. To start off, I got some horse time! One of the members we ate dinner with this week owns a bunch of horses (and races them). He let us go look at them before dinner. Even though I wasn't able to ride, it was just fun to be with my 'people' again ;) 
Lindsay digs the little red barn!

Honestly, this week Sister Cattin and I met one of our biggest challenges yet. Our amazing investigator, Clay, had a huge set back. Long story short, he isn't really progressing anymore and we aren't focusing on teaching him at the moment. He will need to come to the gospel by himself before we will be able to continue helping him. Lots of little things built up to make it a difficult week for the work, but Sister Cattin and I both kept our chins up and know that God is always with us. Everything has a purpose. Ultimately, what needs to happen in the grand scheme of things will happen. We do not see the full perspective. We can only understand what we can see at this point in time. It is crucial that we realize God has so much more planned than what we can hope for at the time. Often, a small set back is there because it will allow for increased growth and progression in the future. 

This week we helped yet another family move. Whew. It seems like everyone in Cochran is moving! As we were packing, Sister Cattin and I realized the moving truck could be packed much more efficiently and would be able to fit a lot more of the things this couple needed to move. So we played some fantastic life-sized Tetris. It really was a blast and I was so excited for the extra workout!

On Sunday we had a great experience. We met a member's girlfriend at church (we weren't expecting to see her there, so it was a wonderful surprise!). She was so sweet! We asked if we could come by later and visit their family. Later that afternoon we stopped by the member's home to talk with them and the son's girlfriend. We got to know her first and then had a short lesson with her on what this gospel could do for her ("10 points" for those missionaries who will know what that is). As we were leaving, the mother came up to us, thanked us for coming, and then said, "I don't know what you did, but whatever it was..it worked and was awesome! I could feel the spirit so strong. Thank you!" Agh! That is the best thing a missionary could hear! We were so happy :) We're excited to get to know this young lady better. But honestly, it wasn't us. The reason this gospel is spreading so quickly is because the truth can be felt. It is the Holy Ghost bearing witness that the things being said are true and are from God. It's incredible to feel that presence. The Holy Ghost is the real teacher. 

Oh my goodness, I almost forgot to write about this! I started again on the 15th of July and finished the Book of Mormon this past week. It was wonderful! As I was reading in Ether, I realized I would be finishing soon and said a prayer to receive a witness if it was true and from God. First, I love love love Ether 12 which is all about Faith. Such an incredible chapter. I would definitely challenge you all to read it this week! Then, I read in Moroni 7:9 which says, "If he shall pray and not with real intent of heart; yea, and it profiteth him nothing, for God receiveth none such." At first, I started thinking of Clay and how he wasn't receiving an answer (or recognizing the answer he was receiving) because he did not have real intent. There was no way he was going to change his lifestyle even if God told him to. Then I thought "How am I like Clay?" "How do I need to pray with real intent?" I was the one who really needed this verse. I prayed yet again with as much 'real intent' as I could. Later in the chapter I read verse 16 I read "I show unto you the way to judge; for every thing which inviteth to do good, and to persuade to believe in Christ, is sent forth by the power and gift of Christ; wherefore ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of God."  BOOM There was the answer as clear as day. I thought back to everything I had read in the last 54 days and it all testified of Christ. It all persuaded those who read it to do good. I truly felt at peace and a great joy and gratefulness for the Book of Mormon filled my heart. How wonderful this book is! If you have not read through it all before or recently, please do so now! It Is True and it is for US! 

I love you all so so very much. You have all made a difference in my life. Keep up the good work! Sorry for the length of this email. Oops. 

Until next time, this is Sister Brown signing off :)

No comments:

Post a Comment