Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Went back to college :)

This week has been all sorts of crazy. 

To start off with, I need to update you all on the Lazarus family. I think I have talked about them before...basically, we have all sorts of crazy experiences with their family. The sisters have been teaching them for a few years now. One of the daughters was baptized (13 years old) about a year ago, and the sisters have always continued teaching the rest of the family slowly. Well, the grandma Rose and her granddaughter Haley are finally seriously preparing for baptism. If they hadn't have missed church last week, they would be baptized together on the 17th, but now it looks like they may be baptized on different weeks...but both coming up soon. We are so so so excited for them and pray everything works out. They realize this will open up a whole new door to their life that they never knew existed. 

This week we also had the "Greenie" meeting. Both sister Demann and I had some great ideas on things we hope to implement into our missionary work. We are excited for the upcoming weeks together. I think sister Demann really enjoyed getting to see some of her friends from the MTC. I know I really enjoyed that when I had just come out(not like it was that long ago:D).

Sister Demann and Sister Brown. A local
member sent this picture to us!
Immediately following the greenie mtg, we had exchanges with the Forsyth sister training leaders. I got to be in Cochran with sister Foster!!! I absolutely love sister Foster. Seriously, she has such amazing insight and we were immediately great friends. I look forward to spending time together after the mission as well.  A funny story from exchanges... Sister Foster and I went to Eastman on Thursday and we had some amazing lessons. We had a small number of lessons, but they were both very meaningful and we pray will lead to great things. Well, on our way out we had about 15 minutes to stop by this lady's (Donna) house. As we walk up to her house, we see there are a bunch of men sitting around the front drinking their afternoon beers. Well, one of them we recognize as Donna's husband because he had recently gone through neck surgery. We talked to them for a short amount of time, and then left him with a card telling him to let us know if he needed anything because we would love to provide any service we can. At that moment one of his friends pipes up and says, "spicy shrimp". I had to have him repeat what he was saying three times because..well the accent was thick and the first time it was a bit slurred. So as he's clarifying what his request was, he says, "I'm in the mood for some spicy shrimp from the Chinese place down the road. People always say they'll do things that they have no intention of actually doing." Well when I heard that, I realized we were not going to add to the number of people who must have caused him some sort of hurt in the past. So with the "Georgia" directions given...I dragged sister Foster on a search for the spicy shrimp. We were victorious!! We ran into the restaurant, made our to-go order, prayed it would come quickly so we could get home on time, and zipped back to the large group of men sitting outside. The look on their faces was priceless! I loved the happiness it brought them. As we walked up this time, the man stood up, stuck out his hand, and said, "I'm Vincent Man. Good to meet you." Another of his friends stood up, did the same thing and said "I'm Willie." Such a huge change in demeanor. We left them with a Restoration pamphlet and zipped home in time to drive back to Macon. Mission Accomplished :) 

To finish off the email, I'll briefly touch on the fall festival. It was tons of fun. We had chili, hot dogs, games, bouncy house, trunk or treat, and some of our investigators came! I was so excited about that :) Although I acted a bit too much like a helicopter mom I think...hovering over them making sure they met as many people as possible, making sure they got food. ha so stressful, but so fun :) Hopefully I'll get a picture from sister Demann to send.
Sister Demann, Sister Goade, Sister Mchullen,
Sister Foster, (the member from Forsyth who
drove them is kind of in the background
there...she's so funny!), Me

That's all for now folks. Keep being an example to the world!
Love, 
Sister Brown

PS
Oh my goodness, I totally forgot to tell you about how I went back to college....oops. Ha this morning we helped out one of the sister's in the ward who was asked to share a presentation on what "Mormons" believe to a religion class here on campus. we were there to show them what many of the young adults their age would be doing at that point in their life. We answered some questions and shared a little info about the church as well. It was a great experience and a neat opportunity to be a part of. Some wonderful seeds of faith were hopefully planted. And if nothing else, some common misconceptions could be cleared up. :) love y'all


Last week Lindsay mentioned she worked with the Red Cross.
I found these pictures on the mission facebook page.
I didn't realize Lindsay had taken up photo bombing. She did well!



No comments:

Post a Comment