Monday, February 8, 2016

Surprises :)

This week...wow. If I could use one word to describe it, I would choose: SURPRISE. We had all sorts of fun surprises. The incredible thing though was how miraculous those surprises were. 
To start off, I was in my first tornado. That was a new one. Wait no..I'm getting ahead of myself. Ok, we'll organize it like this:

Miracle 1.
On Tuesday we went to see this investigator that we've been working with a little bit in the past. EVERY time we go to knock on her door though, her neighbor one door to the right answers. It's funny the first two times...the third time it's just embarrassing. Background info--every time we went to this apartment complex, I naturally started walking to the left to knock on a different door that I could see in my mind. Every time, Sister Lewis would ask where I was going and patiently inform me I was walking the wrong way to get to Kendra's (the investigator we're teaching). I would laugh, shake my head, and turn around. This is also funny the first two times it happens...but just downright embarrassing and frustrating when it comes to the third time. Eventually Sister Lewis says "Apparently the spirit is trying to get us to knock on that door." Well, Kendra wasn't there, so we went to the door I had been drawn to..and no response. The next day we go to see Kendra. Her neighbor answers instead, again....but it's her son. We start talking to him until she comes to the door. We all awkwardly laugh and then she asks, "Don't I know you from somewhere?" (pointing at Sister Lewis). We told her probably not but continued talking to try and figure it out. Long story short...we had met her when we went to her mother's house to drop off a bible. We had an amazing first discussion with her and her mother, but then they moved and we lost all contact with them. They had told us to visit them in the new place they were moving to, but we were new to the area and couldn't figure out where the apartments were when we later tried. So BOOM! We miraculously were led to her daughter. BUT wait..there's more. She told us to visit her mother...Turns out her mother lives in that apartment I kept being pulled to!!! WHAT?! It was honestly a miracle. We are now teaching them. I'll let you know how it goes :) 
Eugene (the father of a lady we are teaching) always
wants to wash our car. So we finally let him
one day while we were in a lesson. Pretty funny...
but he did a great job and our car totally needed it!

Miracle 2.
So Wednesday was the Tornado. There are some crazy stories with that which I don't really have time to share right now. I'll see if I can send some pictures next week. Basically it tore up Fort Stewart but no one was killed or seriously injured. Some people lost their homes and cars. There's a lot of construction happening on base right now...but we're all safe and happy. So for the miracle... That evening we had an appointment set up in Midway with a gentleman in the ward and his wife. They were planning on having their neighbor over to hear the discussions. He's had a rough life...has a very serious addiction to alcohol right now, but agreed to talk with the missionaries. We were excited to meet him and hoped to share with him the light of the gospel which we know can change his life. Well..the tornado happened and our plans were all thrown out of wack. Traffic getting on and off base was ridiculous (as you can imagine). By the time we were able to get off base (and the tornado warning had been officially called off), we would be an hour late to the appointment. We tried to explain this to the member who was a 30 minute drive away, but he didn't seem to understand the situation and was very insistent that we still keep the appointment. Our ride who was originally going to go with us canceled because of the weather. So we were left to our own and had to decide how to handle the situation. We prayed and didn't feel great about it..but me and my persistence..we started the drive anyways. I know that sounds really dumb, but the most that was happening with the weather were some thunderstorms and it was all moving away from the direction we were going. I know, still not smart...but bear with me. So we were driving and about 25 minutes into the drive I was still not feeling good about it at all. I asked sister Lewis how she was feeling about going through with the lesson and to sum it up...she wasn't feeling good about it at all. We pulled over to pray and both felt very strongly we needed to turn around. Not knowing how we would break the news to the member, but feeling strongly the Lord would help us, I flipped a U turn and we headed back. We were so, so anxious about the outcome, but told him in the best way we knew how over the phone and just let him know we were following the spirit. His response was SO out of character it shocked us both into tears. He was more than understanding. He was very supportive. Heavenly Father worked things out just as they needed to be. We probably won't know why things had to happen the way they did..but I know that the Lord will lead us if we let him.

Kyler's birthday was this week. His mom is a recent
convert who we visit and teach new member lessons to.
Miracle 3.
We had a less active family we've been trying to work with tell us that their 2 children ages 10 and 8 are interested in being baptized and they want to have us teach them. They're all trying to come back to church. How incredible! When we got this news we were so, so happy for their family!! They are making changes together that will bring the only lasting happiness we can find on this earth. 

Miracle 4.
Heavenly Father led us to a woman who recently had her son-in-law pass away. We are now teaching them (her and her daughter) both. They are more than prepared for the gospel. You can just see the pleading look of someone in need of answers. Something to heal a wound that has touched their soul. While we were sitting with her I wished I could take everything I know and just give it to her. Little by little the Holy Ghost will teach her and fill that need she has.

I'm so grateful to be a part of this work. Share it with a friend this week!!! 
Much love,
Sister Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment