Tuesday, November 8, 2016

No Matter the President, Jesus is King

This week's email is a bit scrambled...

To start off, we had a neat experience regarding one of the part member families (well, they're not married… but basically a family) we used to visit. As we were preparing for a service project at the old folks home, we got a call from Sister Jensen in the mission office. She asked us if we by chance knew such and such person. After a minute or two I was able to recognize who she was talking about. She told us how this inactive member's sister (who lives in Utah) had called the mission office asking if she could speak with the missionaries in Douglas so her brother could receive a priesthood blessing. He got incredibly sick at the last minute. Sister Jensen couldn't hand out our number, but she said she would try to work something out with us. We told her not to worry about it, and that we would set something up here. Within a matter of minutes we had called two worthy priesthood holders in the ward and asked them if they could administer to this inactive brother. They were quite willing and acted in a timely manner. I was overcome with a gratitude for these men and the Priesthood authority God has blessed them to use in order to administer to His children. We were not able to attend the blessing with these gentlemen, but we called all of them and followed up with what had taken place. As we kept in close contact with the girlfriend of this inactive member (who has never showed an interest in the church for years), she sent us a text that evening which read, "The power of the priesthood is real." Her boyfriend has and continues to improve. I stand amazed at the miracles we still see today! 
We went to a Thai restaurant! It turned out to be more like
american-ized Chinese food (and a lot of it),
but it was still fun :)


This week we have been dropping those people whom we don't see any progression with. That can be a really difficult process for me because I know these people have so much potential... they just don't always act on it. We've been praying to know who is ready, who we should continue working with, and who we need to take a break from teaching. We went to a house that we've been looking forward to teaching because this man, his mom and his son all have great potential. We had a pretty good first lesson on Faith. Well, they didn't answer the door one time after the first visit. The next time we went to see them, I saw a white paper on the door and felt it was for us (ha that's never a good sign...). We still prayed before walking out. As we got to the door, and read the note, my suspicions were confirmed. Their note wasn't mean, it just basically asked us to never come back again. Even though it always hurts because you just want to give these people one more chance, I realized it could have been an answer to our prayers. Even though we had it in our mind that this family would make it far, perhaps the Lord has another time prepared for them to learn the gospel that will truly prick their hearts in a way we could not. I pray I will get to see them again and get at least one more chance. We will never stop praying for them.

We had interviews yesterday (that is the reason for our late emails--our p-day was moved). The interview itself went well, but President Grayson's prayer at the end was absolutely beautiful. I think that may have been the most sincere prayer I have ever heard someone say in my behalf. I could feel the sincere love he had for the work we are doing in our area. He even prayed by name for two of our investigators which we had discussed. Everything I have been pleading with the Lord for these last few weeks he repeated in his prayer. The desires to work with the members, find those who are ready, have the power promised with our calling, and more... he said it all. I know President Grayson has been called of God to lead our mission. He relies on the spirit for every decision he makes. I pray to walk that closely with God one day.

I have felt the Lord's strength flow into the work as I rely on Him. My happiness and success does not rely on how many lessons we are teaching or how often we are accepted. Rather, I have found true joy in turning my will over to my loving Father above. We can know when we are about his work. We truly are encircled in the arms of His love. I am not adequate for this calling—but He is. That's all that matters. :) How blessed we are to be in the service of our Lord!

Love y'all and have a Blessed week!

Sister Brown

A few funny things from the week:

*We searched for a missing cat. (no luck yet :( poor lady) I'll tell ya... that's a hard task.
*I had some of the best tasting oranges from the back yard of a member
*A 48 year old lady in our ward is pregnant! It took her 10 years to have her first child, and now (10 more years later) she was surprised to be having another! The Lord works in mysterious ways. All I know is she's my hero. So crazy.

Here are some additional pictures found on the mission facebook page.






Halloween fun, missionary style. It's a cool fishing pond in the trunk of their car!

Sister Brown with her cohorts in Douglas, GA. Mission interviews!

Sister Brown with her trainee, Sis Boyer and Sis Tammy Fussell,
Tifton Stake and Macon CC Public Affairs Director.

No comments:

Post a Comment