Monday, July 13, 2015

First Week in Georgia!

Whew, has this week been one I will always remember! It seems like months that I last talked to you all and emailed y'all. I have been running and running every since I set foot outside the mission house in Georgia. The first night we got here, we stayed at the mission home in Macon. It felt so nice to be in a real house again. We received training and then the next day we were transferred into our area. I'm in Cochran!!! I have been told at least 6 or 7 times "Welcome to Zion sister brown." Little do they know the Salem stake has also been using that one for years ;) The members here are absolutely wonderful. They love feeding the missionaries so we have a few dinners every week. My companion actually has lots of food allergies (gluten, dairy, and eggs) so we don't even have to eat anything fried! I'm so blessed to have her :) I feel sorry for her, but I'm so grateful she keeps us from gaining too much weight ;) She said her last companion said the exact same thing. 

But back on the members, they are also all related to each other in one way or another...that gets a bit interesting. Pretty much everyone goes our of town, gets married, then moves back in. We have the ward family tree to help the newbies (like me) figure out everyone's relation. The town is small. There are some really, really poor areas. but there are a couple places with nicer houses and where people are better off(they don't like to talk to us as much, sadly). Everyone in the south LOVES talking about Jesus! They will talk to us and listen to us. The truly difficult thing is that hardly anyone actually progresses. They are grateful for what we are doing, but have no desire to keep the commitments we ask them to. It makes me so sad. I just want to be able to see them again in the Celestial kingdom! Somehow, we need to help them see why our message is so important. 
This flag is flown by businesses in the South where
owners wish to proclaim their belief in Christ.

A little about Georgia.. I haven't actually seen much as far as sights or anything besides neighborhoods goes, but what I have seen is amazing! The trees are incredibly tall. That's what shocks me. I'm used to seeing lots of green, but not at this height. Yes, it is quite humid..I'm becoming accustom to the feeling that you are never dry. Whether the moisture is from the air around you or your own sweat...that's not always clear. Our apartment is in a pretty safe area in town. I think it's cute and humble. The toilet seat tips side to side if you aren't careful, and we have little cockroach friends that we teach how to swim in the toilet..(poor guys) but honestly, it is perfect for us. All we really need is a bed, bathroom, cold water, and refrigerator. I love it.

Now for our investigators, we have so many people we can talk to, we just need to help the ones we already have learn why they need to 'progress' and keep commitments. That's our goal for this next week. But a couple stories from the first week  in Georgia. Most everybody loves Jesus and God. We met one man who had some interesting views. We let him tell us his perspective..and he basically said he knew we would think of him as that crazy guy who was ranting on about some ridiculous theories (like how God was in everything/we all put together make up God), and that we would never visit him again. So what are we going to do? Yep. We're going back this week! Never give up on someone. I actually think he would be interested in the gospel if he is willing to overlook his feelings of hurt (it seems like there is something deeper he is dealing with.). 

One of our investigators, who truly wants to be baptized, ended up in the mental hospital a few days ago to help treat some mental disorders. This one kind of threw us a curve ball because we thought she was doing much better and really progressing (she's great when she is on her meds. We have no idea what went wrong). I don't always know how I am supposed to help, but I know the Lord is really in charge. I know He knows how to help her perfectly. So I will let Him guide :)

Another sweet, sweet lady we have been seeing for a few weeks is ready for the gospel. She believes everything we have taught her (even with her husband being completely against it and very strongly Jewish--he's still super wonderful and so funny. He gave me a Hebrew name!) but will not come to church. She would even be willing to be baptized, but she will not come to church. Because of poor experiences in the past, she has always felt awkward and unwelcome at churches(not just lds)/by members at other activities(an lds wedding reception). I would encourage you all to please, please, please always say hello to a new face. God's church is based around love. Everything we have from Him is because he loves us, and sometimes those searching for truth won't feel they have found that love and will therefore leave. I still have hope for her. She finally agreed to come to church on a random week(so we can't tell the members to say hi to her) and she will kind of "test" the people. While the people are important, I hope she can understand our message that the gospel is so much more than that. This is her trial of faith. 

Lastly, as sister missionaries, we get lots of people who open up to us completely. We sincerely love them and I think they can see that so they want to share with us what they are feeling. We had one of those moments this week. It's hard to see people dealing with certain trials and challenges. Through the atonement, we can overcome anything. We hope to help one young lady,her marriage, and faith in particular this week. 

Ok, well that's enough for now. These people are wonderful. I love them! And I'm working hard with my companion to be able to work together best we can even with our differences. She's a great trainer. 

Have an amazing week!
-Sister Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment