Monday, November 16, 2015

Pigs and Pecans

Surprise! It does get cold in Georgia! Well, in Cochran anyways. Sister Demann and I were both quite shocked by the weather this week..but when the sun's out, you couldn't ask for more perfect weather. 

This week we had our Zone Training Meeting. One of the "trainings" was on the Book of Mormon. I absolutely love this book! While being on my mission, I have found a greater love for this book of scripture that I didn't know I could have. It has always been a source of peace and comfort for me throughout my life. When I needed to find an answer to a question, I would study its words. However, since I have been out sharing it with others and studying it more intently, my love for the teachings has blossomed. One morning about a month back, I picked up my copy that is marked with the individual pieces of the Doctrine of  Christ in different colors, and a sweet, pure love filled my heart. I cannot describe how much closer this book has brought me to my Savior, Jesus Christ. It is a treasure! I promise it can change your life. But back to the training, something that stood out to me was the thought of "How are we introducing the Book of Mormon to those we meet?" If this is something more valuable than gold, how do we present it? We should tell people, "I am privileged to share something so precious to me with you.." What an incredible opportunity...to give for free. Something their salvation depends on! Something that can and will change their life. How incredible. We should share our love for the Book of Mormon with all we meet. It was not given to us in this day to be hid. 

We have been trying to find some of the less active members that we've never met before this week. While we were looking for one gentleman, we ended driving to a sketchier part of town. It was really confusing where we were supposed to be going, so we got out and decided to walk up to the community of trailers and ask someone if they know where he lived (one nice thing about the south...people know a lot about their neighbors ;) Love them!). Anyways, we were walking on this dirt road up to two men working outside. They were trying to cut something in half with a chainsaw...neither of them seemed drunk though, so we continued along our journey. As we got nearer to them, I noticed what they were trying to cut...a pig. Like a full on pig. Yep. To spare you the details, it was quite messy and I wasn't planning on shaking hands with either of them. I'm not sure if they did get the head off or not. Sorry, that may have been a bit much. Sister Demann didn't notice at first, but when she did she kept saying sister, sister, sister. Under my breath I just said, "I know" and had a short conversation with the men. Good news is, we found the less active! Yay! We'll try to visit him again later. 

As far as the Pecans go...they are everywhere! It's crazy.. everyone here seems to have pears and pecans :) I've started noticing pecan trees are everywhere. Not just at people's houses...but in the random lots that no one owns. Pretty neat. We went out with a member and she was picking them up from the side walk. She told us we should take them home with us because she already has tons from her yard. It was so cute! She's such a funny lady :D 

Be safe, share what you love with someone else :) 
Sister Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment