Monday, January 4, 2016

A NEW YEAR :)

Wasn't 2015 Amazing? I seriously hope y'all were able to look over the year and notice all the amazing experiences and blessings God has provided you with. I know He has helped me out in every aspect of my life. Now we get to make 2016 even better! It's such a blessing to know each day is the start of a new year. 

This week was full to the brim of many learning experiences. We've been working quite a bit with a young couple this week. The husband is a less active member and the wife is investigating the church right now. While working with them, it has shown me how important it is to base your family on the gospel. There is a lot of sadness in their marriage (although they're super awesome and don't often admit the struggles) because they haven't been following the commandments. I love to consider the words of King Benjamin when he explains why the commandments keep us happy:

41) And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it. 

How amazing is that?! I love the commandments. They truly keep us so, so blessed and protected. I know a home that is centered around following ALL the commandments of God will be a happy home. 

Something I have noticed about how the missionary work has been different here than in the past is my relationship with our investigators. We have tried our best to just sincerely be friends with everyone we are teaching first. It's such a neat and yet different setting. Often, I feel like our lessons turn into a more of a 'heart to heart late night conversation' you would have with your best friend than an actual lesson..but the same principles are still taught. I have a far way to go before I find a good balance of both teaching and being a friend, but I have loved the shift in the work.

This week we ran into a testimony building experience. Well, all of life is a testimony building experience...but you'll understand what I mean. We went back to visit this lady whose daughter we had talked to once before. The Elders before us had left them with  a restoration pamphlet which they read over. The daughter told us to come back after the break because her mom had some questions about it. Well, we went back to the house, and as we were driving up..I had this feeling that they just weren't ready for the gospel yet. I thought 'ok, we'll answer a few of their questions and leave it as a seed of faith to be nurtured until a later date.' Looking back on the experience, I wonder if the Holy Ghost was trying to tell me not to go..I'm clearly still learning :) Regardless, we did the best we could. We started out by chatting with the mom, showing her how much we loved her, and then asking her about the questions her daughter had mentioned. Well, long story short it was not a very good experience..they were not questions but accusations. Normally that would be fine, except for that her heart was not sincere and so there was no chance we could help her find the answers her spirit really needed. We bore testimony as best we could, even though we could not get a full sentence in without being talked over, and left. I was so sad for this woman. I pray that her heart may be softened one day. She is my sister, and I look forward to the day when I will see her again. I know that if she is willing, God will try everything to allow her to accept the fullness of the gospel.

That is the amazing truth, God is full of second chances. 

A little bit on our new years celebration, Sister Lewis and I did weekly planning during lock down and then had some sparkling apple juice and cake before we went to bed. It was fun to get a night to just enjoy each other's company and look forward to the amazing year ahead of us. We were then lulled to sleep by the overly loud music of our neighbors. ;)  Good thing missionaries are super tired every night! 

Love you all lots! Be safe and enjoy the new year! :)

Oh, and fun news we got this morning...our car is going to be in the shop next Monday for 8 days! Boy howdie. We're going to be FIT. We're considering just running from appointment to appointment. But seriously, we're going to have some awesome stories for you in a couple weeks!

Love,
Sister Brown 

No comments:

Post a Comment