Monday, April 11, 2016

JOY

Talk about a week! Between exchanges, zone training meeting, addiction recovery class, and new beginnings, it was a busy one! 

Tuesday was full of following up with people we have met over the last couple weeks and seeing if they're really interested. Always hard work, but it's worth it if you find one person who accepts this JOYFUL message into their lives. 

Wednesday we drove up to Pooler for exchanges with the Sisters there. That, as always, was such a neat experience.  It was wonderful to see how the sisters down there work and to serve them at the same time. Their companionship seemed to be getting along quite a bit better than expected, so that's always a plus. I love being in this position because you're able to look outside yourself and see if there are ways to serve those around you. It is so true, when we lose yourself in the work...you find that much more happiness. Sister Lewis and I met back up at our Zone training meeting where she trained on how the Book of Mormon answers questions of the soul, and I trained on Joy. Studying Joy has helped me immensely in this work. As one of our mission presidency members said, "I'm not going to be a cheer-leader for joy." Joy goes much deeper when we truly study what it is, and how to have joy. Joy is so much more full than its synonyms. It lasts through all circumstances. To know, and take an active part in, the plan of Salvation is to know joy. 

One of our investigators, whom I've mentioned before, is named Michaela. I figure I'll be sharing more of her story each week so I may as well give a few more details so y'all can follow easier. ;) Anyways, she's the lady we met who's originally from Germany. We met at a volunteer activity. She has had MANY trials and hardships she's been facing lately. She Loves everything she learns. She always says, "Oh, I knew that was true! No one could tell me it until now though." She loves every time we read from the book of Mormon. And every time something inspired comes into our lessons, like an answer to question or a scripture that perfectly fits her needs..she says "Stop it, you're freakin' me out." She's the cutest!! I just love her! And I truly feel that she is one of the main reasons I have been sent to Hinesville. We connected right away. Not to mention God has blessed me to be able to somehow understand her questions that confuse many other people. I know it's the Lord's guiding spirit. I'm so grateful for that guidance. 

On Sunday, she came with us to the addiction recovery program. Her friend, whom she had brought for support, ended up turning on her in the middle of our discussion. It was so sad. Michaela is at a point, however, where she is giving everything up to make the changes she needs to feel God's love and support. Even one of her best friends, she had to let go of for a while. Michaela has been so stressed recently that sister Lewis and I will be leaving soon. She says she has finally found 2 people who love her for who she is and that are willing to help her overcome the hard things in life. She's scared she won't be able to find people like this again. Those moments are when I am SO grateful to know that the same spirit she feels with us now will stay with her as she meets other members of the ward, and other missionaries who will help her on her journey just as we are now.

I love her to death! The cutest part is she always says, "I'm not going to become a Mormon, but..." It's so funny :) She is so very sensitive to the spirit, and I think she knows deep down that this is the path God has prepared for her. 

Thank you all for continuing to be a light to those around you. I know this Gospel brings true Joy. I know we can always be of use to our loving Heavenly Father. Ask Him what more you can do with an open heart and He WILL tell you :)

Love y'all!!
-Sister Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment