Tuesday, May 31, 2016

"The most important work...is within the walls of your home"

First off, I forgot to explain the 'guns' part of the last week's email. We met with a less active who teaches a basic gun-use course...long story short it was an interesting visit in which we talked about guns and self defense a good bit. He even showed us a mold of his skull and offered to teach us a quick gun course XD Too funny. I may come back after the mission and take him up on the offer. He had some pretty neat equipment!

We found the tree of knowledge.
Onto the present...One of our goals this week was to find at least one service opportunity because we have been lacking in that area lately. Tuesday night we gathered up some tools to help out an older lady with her garden work. She absolutely loves garden work and even though she physically can't get out there and do what she needs, it doesn't stop her! So we trimmed her rose bushes, pulled weeds, and pruned the trees for a couple hours. She was loving it! It was so amazing to see the joy she received from being out in nature. The scary part of the evening, however, was that twice while we were there, her motorized chair got stuck in little holes in the grass. Let me tell you...that chair is HEAVY. When this happened, she would say, "Oh girls, I'm afraid I'm stuck again." She would them have to lean on a hoe and hold onto sister Anderson while we tried to get the chair out. While pulling her chair out the second time, I hear, "Oh babies, you're going to need to catch me!" I think Heavenly Father blessed me with quicker reflexes in that moment than I actually have, because I somehow managed to get from behind the chair to Betty's side as she was losing her balance and about to tip backwards. I am so, so grateful she didn't lose her balance because I don't think I could have gotten her back up. We're seeing little miracles every day! While there doing service for Betty, we met a lady who has been having an incredibly hard time. We were able to teach her, give her comfort, and plant a seed of faith. How amazing! We are meeting with her again soon. The really neat thing is that she already knows many members of the ward!

Doodle tried to eat my watch. 
Wednesday we went with one of the sweetest ladies in the ward. She's an incredible member missionary! One of our appointments fell through, so we told her of our back up plans. She was willing to go with us to those..but she said, "Let me introduce you to one of my friends first." How awesome!! We drove with her to her friend's house and met her and her husband...as well as their MANY pets. I may send a picture or two. We talked about family history. It was such a GREAT opportunity to begin fellow-shipping and getting other people to allow the missionaries into their homes who normally wouldn't. I have such a strong testimony of member missionary work. That is the REAL missionary work. 

We were also able to drive up to Macon yet again this week for the Trainer/Trainee meeting. It was such a wonderful experience!! I learned so much, and it made me so grateful for my wonderful companion sister Anderson! She is so sweet, humble, and has the most tender and loving spirit . She has a Powerful testimony that shines as she speaks with love. I am truly blessed. 

The Gray family (the ones with the parrot that I spoke of last week) will hopefully accept a baptismal invitation this week. They didn't make it to church, but you can see the desire for the spirit to be in their lives building with each visit. 

Cute birthday surprise from the sisters.
It seems that the theme of our visits revolve on how the most important work we can do is within our own family and close reach of influence. Harold B Lee said, “The most important of the Lord's work that you will ever do will be the work you do within the walls of your own home.”—President Harold B. Lee.  With many of the people we are working with, we have seen how if they only remained faithful and diligent..they could have affected generations. When we are strong in the faith, our light rubs off onto other people. Strengthening our family in the gospel is the MOST important work we could ever do. I pray for these families here every day. It makes me realize how great an influence our decisions have on those around us. Nothing only ever hurts or builds us. Everything we do touches someone else's life. When we begin to understand that, we take much greater care in how we live our lives. To have godly sorrow is to understand how our sins hurt those around us. In the same way, I believe true joy comes when we turn to others. Strengthen those within your reach this week! 

Love y'all!
Sister Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment